From Gonzales to sunny San Diego

Being from a small town, never did I know that I would be living on my own in San Diego. All I have ever known or was taught came from my family and friends, making them my support system. Coming from a place where almost everyone knew each other and lived in such a close proximity, to a school that was three times that of the population of my town, was the beginning of a great journey. Those values that were created growing up in Gonzales have helped shaped the person that I am now. From putting family first and caring for those that have stuck with you, to working hard to earn what is rightfully yours, to having an open mind are just some of the values Gonzales taught me.
My family at graduation. 


Being so close to my family made me appreciate the little things in life. From being able to have dinner with them, to annoying one of my sisters are just some of the things that I first noticed I was missing. But to my surprise, I quickly found a friend group from my dorm which soon became one of the many new families I became a part of. It was almost as if I wasn't too far away from home after all. Soon we began planning small dinner, outings, and everyone got along with each other, besides the times were we would bicker at each other due to the amount of time we would spend with one another. San Diego soon became my second home, filled with great experiences and amazing people I have met along the way.




Traveling was something I was looking forward to. Knowing there was so much outside of my little town of Gonzales made me want to see the world. Little did I know that this summer would be one filled with a great experience. I had the opportunity to study abroad in Spain this summer. The overall trip was just amazing. It was three weeks filled with great people and memories that I will cherish. It was a small group of us, and we soon became a family in that short span. We would be in class for about two hours, and then after we would go explore the streets of Sevilla, Spain. Before meeting with the group, I was in Madrid for a couple days. Once my plane landed it hit me, 'I'm really out here in another country, by myself. That same feeling little kids get when opening up presents was running throughout my whole body. I did not know what was in store for me, but I was looking forward to every second of it.
My in Sevilla,Spain.


As I begin my final year here at San Diego State, all I can think of what else does this world have in store for me, Mateo from Gonzales, CA.

Comments

  1. I can't imagine coming from a town smaller than SDSU.
    I came from Denver to San Diego and thought nothing of the shift. SDSU was much smaller than it is now, and again I didn't even notice the size.

    You adjusted well. Spain had to be amazing, and the world is so big. Every time I travel, I think how wonderful people are around the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment